Thursday, November 6, 2014

All About Cheese-Lactose and Dairy Free-

After finding out I couldn't eat gluten anymore I discovered I was lactose intolerant. This is common for people with celiac disease. So I looked for other options. I really wanted a tasty cheese alternative for my dishes. I have tried a few different options so I thought I would review the ones I have tried.

Cabot Cheddar Cheese
This first cheese is actual cheese so if you are vegan or have a casein allergy this is not for you. I have found them at Grocery Outlet and Walmart. This aged cheddar cheese is delicious! It is way better than a lot of overly processed cheeses. It's naturally lactose free and has not caused me any problems. All of Cabot products are gluten free except for their spreadable cheeses. All of the gluten free cheeses are made in a separate environment. For more information or to find where it is sold by you check out their website www.cabotcheese.com

Go Veggie!
Go Veggie has a lot of options. I have seen them at health food stores and grocery stores. They have both lactose and dairy free shredded cheese, cheese slices, parmesan, and dairy free cream cheese. They also have some soy free choices. I have tried the dairy free shredded cheese and cheese slices. They don't taste exactly like cheese but they are a good alternative. It also melts pretty easily like real cheese. I really want to try the cream cheese. It looks delicious. They claim their ingredients are GMO free. Their website is  http://www.goveggiefoods.com

Daiya Foods
Daiya Products are by far my favorite dairy alternative. I highly recommend this brand.You can find them at health food stores as well as Vons. They have spreads, wedges, slices, shreds, and even pizza. It tastes great. This is the brand I use when making pizza and other cheesy dishes. My three year old even loves it. All of their products are certified vegan and are free of gluten, dairy, casein, whey, lactose, and soy. They also require all their supplier's to be GMO free. Check them out at http://us.daiyafoods.com

Lisanatti Foods
Lisanatti Foods have rice cheese, almond cheese, and soy cheese options. I found them at Whole Foods. I have tried both rice and almond cheese. Both are good but I do prefer the almond cheese. The almond cheese is also 97% fat free if your looking for something with less fat. Do know that these products do contain casein. The Cheese are free of gluten, cholesterol, saturated fat, preservatives and GMO's. They have shreds, chunks, slices and cheese sticks. You can find more about their ingredients and where you can find them at
http://www.lisanattifoods.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=15





No comments:

Post a Comment